The Turkish State Meteorological Service, TSMS, was founded in 1937. It is the only legal organization which provides all meteorological information in Turkey.
The main objectives of the TSMS are:
- To make observations,
- To provide forecasts,
- To provide climatological data, archive data, and other information,
- To communicate these to the public,
- To provide meteorological needs of army and civil avition.
The TSMS has the membership of the following international organizations:
- WMO (the World Meteorological Organization), a specialised agency of the United Nations which organises the work and collaboration of all the national meteorological services
- ECMWF, a European intergovernmental organisation providing global meteorological and oceanographic forecasts
- EUMETSAT, the European meteorological satellite organisation for the establishment, maintenance and exploitation of operational meteorological satellite systems
- ECOMET, a European organisation dealing with commercial activities within the meteorological community.
- ICAO, a UN specialised agency which provides Standards and Recommended Practices (SARP) for the safe, regular and economic performance of international civil aviation.